It doesn’t get much easier than using a French press to brew delicious tasting cups of coffee. But if you only drink a cup or two of coffee each day, a full-sized French press can feel a little like overkill. And let’s be honest, there’s nothing worse than throwing away the leftovers.
If this sounds like you, we have a solution, the mini 3-cup French press. This smaller-sized French press brews just enough coffee for one large cup or up to three European-sized cups – throwing away coffee will be a thing of the past.
Our Top Pick: Best Value
In this article, we have selected six of the best 3-cup French presses that we feel deserve a place on your kitchen counter.
How Many Ounces In A 3-Cup French Press?
But before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s clear up the confusion surrounding cup sizes. Once you understand this, you’ll have a better understanding of just how much coffee you can brew in a 3-cup French press.
French press manufacturers love to confuse us by insisting on using “cups” rather than ounces to specify how much coffee they can brew.
Take the 3-cup French press as an example. You would think that a “3 cup French press” would make enough coffee to fill three cups. But you’d be wrong.
The cup sizes refer to smaller European cups, which are typically around 4 ounces and not based on what you would consider a larger American-sized cup.
Still confused? A typical American mug is around eight to ten ounces. If you had a 3-cup French press, which brews roughly 12 ounces, you would have enough coffee to fill one American-sized mug; with a tiny bit leftover.
We hope that cleared up some confusion surrounding cup sizes and the french press.
Let’s take a look at our favorite 3-cup french press coffee makers.
6 Best 3-Cup French Press Coffee Makers
We’ve gone out and researched and tested some of the best 3-cup French presses on the market, and we were able to narrow our list down to just six top picks.
Bodum Chambord French Press
Bodum’s flagship product, the Chambord, tops our list in the 3-cup French press category.
The name Bodum and French Press go hand in hand, and they are widely accepted as being one of the pioneers in producing this type of coffee maker.
Bodum has an extensive range of different sizes, styles, and shapes of French presses, with the Chambard being one of their best-selling coffee makers in their range.
With so many different styles offered by Bodum, we had to settle on just one. After some deliberation, we all agreed the copper-colored Bodum Chambord 3 cup French press coffee maker was our favorite.
If you’re shopping around for a new mini-sized French press, it doesn’t get much better than the Chambord!
What We Love
- Frame and lid manufactured from steel.
- Multiple chrome plating processes for maximum durability.
- Heat-resistant borosilicate glass carafe (which can be removed).
- Excellent mesh filter keeps grounds locked away from your cup.
- Even though it’s advertised as dishwasher safe, we recommend washing the metal frame by hand to avoid damaging the chrome plating.
Secura French Press Coffee Maker
Maybe you’re looking for a durable French press that won’t shatter into a thousand pieces if accidentally dropped on the floor? Take a look at the Secura French press coffee maker.
The Secura is made from a double-walled 18/10 stainless steel, which is the same grade used for top-rated kitchen knives – it will definitely outlast many other French Press coffee makers.
Because of the double-walled design, you can expect your freshly brewed coffee to stay piping hot for hours rather than minutes. But remember, the longer your coffee is left immersed and steeping in the French press, the stronger and more bitter it will become.
As awesome as the thermal insulated is, what grabbed our attention was the 3 layered stainless steel filter that traps even the smallest coffee grounds. It also comes completely apart for easy cleaning, which can be a lifesaver when coffee grounds become logged in between the mesh sections of the filter.
A well-made single-serve French press that will withstand a few knocks and bangs.
What We Love
- The double-walled thermal insulation keeps your hot coffee hot for hours.
- Features a heat-resistant knob attached to the plunger for easy pouring.
- Filter screen mesh is easy to disassemble and clean.
- Comes with two extra mesh filter replacements.
- The lid is slightly loose. A tighter fit would ensure that heat is adequately locked inside.
MIRA Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker
Bored with the mundane glass French press and want something to add a bit of modern flair to the kitchen counter? Look no further than the MIRA French press.
Available in pearl blue, gray, and elegant stainless steel, the MIRA will become the focal point of your kitchen.
When it comes to durability, the 8/10 food-grade stainless steel construction won’t break, crack or shatter if accidentally dropped like a classic glass French press coffee maker.
The ultra-fine three-piece mesh filter does a decent job keeping the grounds submerged and out of your cup. And with a quick unscrew, you can dismantle the filter system for easy cleaning.
The MIRA mini 12 oz French press is perfect for taking with you on road trips, camping, or standing on your office desk. One of our favorites for sure!
What We Love
- The sleek design brings the coffee press to the modern kitchen.
- 18/8 high-grade stainless steel construction.
- A double-wall design ensures that your coffee stays hotter longer.
- It can be used to brew loose leaf tea as well as coffee.
- Abrasive cleaning of the outer body could cause the coating to chip off.
Meelio Black French Press Coffee Maker
The Meelio sports a similar modern design as the MIRA 12 oz French press; in fact, you would be hard-pressed to tell them apart. However, the Meelio compact French range comes with some extras, such as additional mesh filters and a scoop, which will undoubtedly come in handy if you’re a regular user of the French press.
In terms of functionality, the Meelio ticks all of the right boxes. It features an ultra-fine three-piece mesh filter and plunger that do an impressive job at keeping the coffee grounds locked away.
The entire French press has been crafted from high-quality 304 stainless steel that is both anti-rust and corrosion-resistant. It is worth noting that the double-walled construction keeps your coffee hotter at least 60 minutes longer than a regular single wall or glass french coffee press.
I think we can all agree that the stylish matte black finish is pretty awesome!
What We Love
- Additional mesh replacement filters and included coffee scoop are a nice touch.
- The filter system is easy to disassemble and clean.
- Cool-touch handle design ensures that your coffee can be poured comfortably and safely.
- A double-wall stainless steel structure guarantees hot coffee for over 60 minutes.
- We recommended running the Meelio through a couple of dishwasher cycles before using it to eliminate any metallic taste.
Bialetti 6860 Preziosa Stainless Steel 3-Cup French Press
Not too sure if the modern-looking French press coffee makers are your kinda’ thing? We’ve got you covered with this classic Bialetti French press – we think that this might be just what you’re looking for.
The iconic l’Omino (the little man) cutout on the body immediately tells you that you’re getting a high-quality french press – it’s Bialetti’s original symbol of quality and authenticity.
The main body is durable, high-quality 18/10 stainless steel that wraps around a heat-resistant borosilicate glass carafe. With this combination, you can rest assured that any accidental knocks won’t shatter the glass, and if anyone has owned a glass-style French press before, you know just how easy those knocks can happen, especially when you’re cleaning.
Staying on the subject of cleaning. The Bialetti Preziosa is super easy to clean, and for a thorough deep clean, it’s fast and straightforward to completely disassemble when needed.
It doesn’t get much more classic than this, we love it, and we think you will too.
What We Love
- The borosilicate glass carafe feels a lot more solid than the Bodum Chambord.
- Features a steel frame design protects the glass from accidental knocks or bangs.
- Dishwasher safe and easy to clean and disassemble.
- The Mesh filter is not as thick as others; however, it still does a fine job keeping the grounds out of your cup.
Magicafé French Press Coffee Maker
If none of the above 3-cup French press coffee brewers have piqued your interest, then we might have saved the best until last.
Feast your eyes on the modern-looking Magicafé French press. Sure, this colorful style might be for everyone, but don’t let its looks fool you because once you peel away the rainbow decor, you’re left with an impressive French press that can brew a great-tasting cup of coffee.
It features a three-layer mesh filter that catches the tiniest of coffee grounds, meaning you can be a bit more flexible when it comes to grinding your coffee.
And just like many of the best French press coffee makers, the Magicafé has been manufactured with double-walled 18/8 food-grade stainless steel, which keeps your coffee warm for up to 60 minutes.
All in all, the Magicafé French Press does a great job, and we actually like its modern look – it will be a conversation starter for sure!
What We Love
- Made from highly durable 18/8 stainless steel that won’t rust or corrode.
- The 3-layer filtration system and plunger do a great job.
- Double-walled insulation technology keeps your coffee or tea hot for over an hour.
- The ergonomic handle stays cool and makes pouring super easy.
- Measuring numbers on the inside is hard to see, so coffee to water ratios might be hard to determine without using a scale.
A 12 oz French makes roughly 3 cups (0.35 liters or 11.8 ounces) of coffee.
Brewing coffee is a personal thing. Some enjoy a strong brew, while others prefer something less bitter.
Here at Bean Ground, we enjoy a strong and robust cup of French press coffee, and our recipe goes a little something like this: 17 grams (2-3 tbsp) coarse ground coffee and 275 ml hot water (additional for pre-heating the French press).
- Timing Espresso Shots Right Can Produce A Perfect Pull - March 16, 2023
- Soulhand X Brewer Cold Coffee Brewer Review - March 2, 2023
- Nitro Cold Brew vs. Cold Brew: What Makes Nitro Different? - February 23, 2023
Since the creation of the Bean Ground coffee blog in 2014, Mark and a small circle of coffee hobbyists have rigorously tested, reviewed, and researched coffee gear. In most cases, they have purchased the items themselves with the sole intention of rating and evaluating.
In that time, they have built up a list of quality points to look for and what makes specific equipment better than others. They cut through the noise and marketing hype that often surrounds products to give you their unbiased opinions so you can make clear decisions on your next purchase.